Saturday 22 June 2013

Produce,Pigeons and protection

Things are really starting to ripen on the plots. Today we had our first strawberries.


The Runner beans, dwarf beans and broad beans are all flowering and small beans are forming.
The Runner bean variety that I am growing has a very pretty flower.



I was lucky to acquire a dilapidated old cold frame this week, a good clean, a couple of new bolts and four  replacement panes of glass and it is now completely restored.


A fathers day present from daughter Pru came in handy today, after I found my lettuces had been attacked by Pigeons.


These old packing cases are supplied by another plot holder, they make great planters and last several years. I simply drill some drain holes in the bottom and give them a coat of paint to tone down the new ply
I have Leeks, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Courgettes and Squash planted in them.


Squash Polo F1

Yellow Courgette
In this image you can see how bright the new packing cases are, before a coat of paint
Climbing french beans (Blue lake variety) along side a row of packing case  planters

1 comment:

  1. That strawberry was fantastic, just make sure you "don't eat the all!"

    ReplyDelete